Summer can do crazy things to your skin & hair. So in the heat & humidity, sometimes you have to pull out the big guns. Over the last few months, I’ve gathered an arsenal of products to combat the sun and keep looking & feeling cool in the hot grasp of summer.
- Bumble and Bumble – Don’t Blow it: The last thing you want to do on a sticky summer morning is spend half an hour blowing hot air at your face. In steps Bb. This stuff is basically a blow out in a tube. It’s wonderful. Use this creme after a shower to let your hair air dry softer, smoother, and fuller without the hassle of a blow dry.
- Batiste – Dry Shampoo: Summer brings sweat, and with sweat comes oily hair. That’s where dry shampoo comes in – and this stuff lets you get another day’s use out of your style without adding a white or powdery residue.
- OGX – Anti-breakage Keratin Oil Shampoo & Conditioner: Mission: stop the frizz. Solution: OGX shampoo & conditioner. If you want your hair to feel healthy, smooth, and free of split ends & flyaways (and who doesn’t) this stuff is for you.
- Remington – T Studio Ceramic Curling Wand: Since I’ve cut my hair short, I’ve been styling it a lot more often, because it takes about half the time. This curling iron has been my go-to for the fast few weeks. It’s an easy way to create natural looking, bouncy curls without totally frying your hair.
- Neutrogena – Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen: If I so much as step outside in the summer, I turn into something resembling a tomato. I have used many a sunscreen, and this one is the perfect sunscreen for daily use. The formula feels like a lotion, and dries without a tacky feel like a lot of sunscreen lotions do. Better yet, its SPF 55, so it gives enough protection to save even the likes of me from a bad burn.
- Aveno – Oatmeal Bath Treatment: On days where no amount of sunscreen can save you from becoming a peeling, red mess, sometimes the only thing to do is dip your sad crispy body into an oatmeal bath and feel the heat get leeched from your skin. Aveno’s oatmeal bath soothes and rehydrates skin to make a sun burn a little more bearable.
- Acure – Clarifying Body Wash: Sweaty summer days can all too often lead to dreaded body acne. Prevent breakouts with lilac and mint, and feel fresh and clean all day after using this sudsing body wash.
- Lush – Ro’s Argan Body Conditioner: I have very sensitive skin. So sand, sweat, and razor burn all wreak havoc on my skin in the summer months. This lotion is almost magical, and when it comes to soothing irritated legs and bringing back moisture to burnt skin, it’s my go to. It melts into skin almost immediately for softer, happier skin that won’t take crap from summer irritation.
- NYX – Faux lashes Mascara: This mascara confused me at first – the wand is tiny, and the formula is loaded with what look like tiny hairs. But after using it for a few weeks, I’m converted. The itty bitty wand allows you to coat lashes down to the base, and the fibers (which thus far have not gotten into my eyes as I thought they would) make lashes appear fuller at the same time. This mascara is a win-win in my book.
- L’Oreal – True Match Lumi Foundation: In the summer, you want to look for a lighter coverage foundation that won’t melt off your face in the heat. L’Oreal’s lump foundation did just that for me. This shade is about as dark as my skin ever gets, so it’s perfect for a summer tan (if you can call it that) and the liquid dries to a powder like finish that doesn’t feel greasy or heavy on the skin, but without a super matte finish that can look cakey in the summer. Also, it has an SPF of 20, which can never hurt.
- Anakiri – Restore Propolis Balm: This balm is like no product I’ve used before. I’ve been using this yellow, semi-waxy cream every night with my moisturizer to calm acne, improve scars and restore my skin overnight, and it works like a dream. Also it smells incredible, like sugary lemon deliciousness that unfortunately you can’t eat. As of right now, it is only available online, but if there is an innovative product to try, it’s this one.
- Lypsyl – Lip Balm: If there’s one product I always have with me, it’s lip balm. My lips get chapped and irritated super easily – and I’m pretty skilled at losing lip balms rather quickly – so needless to say I’ve tried a lot of brands. This Swedish brand tastes like honey, lasts for hours, and the cute bee packaging speaks for itself. I think I’ve found my new holy grail lip balm – and that’s saying something coming from a chapstick hoarder such as myself.